Scientists tell us that we must keep fossil fuels in the ground and rapidly transition to 100% renewable energy sources within decades if we are to prevent the most catastrophic results of climate change. Yet Connecticut is driving forward with an unprecedented infrastructure expansion to burn more fracked methane gas.
Join us for a rally outside Oxford High School (61 Quaker Farms Rd, Oxford) on September 17th from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., to unite and say NO to an important anchor of the Connecticut fracked gas expansion, the Oxford Gas Power Plant. It is time, once again, to show our opposition to the disastrous Connecticut energy plan and demand a plan for saying YES to an emergency transition to sustainable sources of power such as solar and wind.
Studies released in the last year show that all prior measurements of emissions in the fracked methane gas cycle have dramatically under-assessed the quantity of methane released. It's now official: fracked methane gas, from extraction to burning, emits this greenhouse gas in quantities that make it as dangerous to the climate as coal and nearly as environmentally harmful. Supplies of clean water are threatened at many stages as well. At the same time as the power plant nears approval, Spectra Energy just received permission to expand the compressor station in Oxford, forcing this small rural town to face two greenhouse gas-spewing, water polluting monstrosities at once.
At 6:30 pm, the CT Department of Energy and Environment is hosting a hearing as part of the permitting process for the Oxford plant. This will be held at the Oxford High School auditorium, 61 Quaker Farms Road, Oxford, Connecticut. Many of us will attend and submit testimony at the hearing following the protest. Join us!For more info, email Martha Klein here
Connecticut Sierra Club
WIN, WIN, WIN! Cash back for customer, fundraising for local chapter, and clean energy (win for the environment!) This is what happens when you go solar through Sungevity! Join the solar revolution and help your local Sierra Club at the same time. Get a quote and see how you can join the revolution. Just go to: www.sierraclub.org/solarhomes
For more information about the program click here for the FAQ (frequently asked questions)
Get a free consultation and sign up for solar panels soon!
1) CLEAN ENERGY MOVES US BEYOND COAL AND OTHER DIRTY ENERGY SOURCES: Going solar supports the mission and work of the Sierra Club.
2) OPPORTUNITY TO PARTICIPATE IN CLIMATE SOLUTIONS: Going solar now supports green jobs and helps clean energy grow.
3) TESTED PROGRAM: Feedback from pilot was overwhelmingly positive—good experience with process, Sungevity, and they love using clean energy!
4) SUPPORT LOCAL CHAPTERS: National Sierra Club promotion of the Solar Homes program supports local chapters who will receive unrestricted funds for advocacy and conservation programs as well as crucial overhead costs.5) TIME IS RIGHT FOR SOLAR: Affordable leasing options are available and you can be a part of the growing solar revolution.
6) DIRTY ENERGY IS COSTING US ALL: Coal is making our kids and adults sick by polluting the air we breathe and the water we drink. Big Coal profits at the expense of people.7) CLEAN ENERGY IS CREATING JOBS AND POWERING THE ECONOMY: Wind and solar already provide more jobs than the coal mining industry. Generating power with solar creates seven times more jobs than doing so with coal. __________________________________________________________________
Coal 101: A simple way to visualize the problems with coal, the outdated way to make power. A clean energy future is available now; why don't we move beyond coal? (click on image)