Don’t Fund Evil: 230,000+ Americans Tell Google To Quit ALEC
Tech Giant Under Fire For Supporting Beleaguered Right-Wing Group
While having a stated commitment to move toward 100% renewable energy to combat climate pollution, Google recently joined ALEC as the group continued its climate denial and attacks on efforts to make renewable energy more affordable and accessible to millions of Americans. Along with Google, ALEC also receives backing from dirty energy giants like Koch Industries, BP, Peabody Energy, and ExxonMobil.
“Google should Google ALEC’s agenda. Funding right-wing extremists at ALEC is a guaranteed way for Google to undermine its own admirable clean energy goals. It’s like building a new house only to set it on fire after defunding the fire department,” said Michael Brune, Executive Director of the Sierra Club. “For a company celebrated for its leadership in imagination and innovation, Google is showing a remarkable lack of foresight. Tens of thousands of Americans are taking note, and its time Google did the right thing by leaving ALEC behind.”
The "Don't Fund Evil" campaign, launched by the climate accountability group Forecast the Facts in July, has called out Google for the company's financial support of climate deniers including Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK), the Competitive Enterprise Institute, Heritage Action and now ALEC.
"Google's support for ALEC is part of a disturbing embrace of the climate denial machine by a company that professes to fight global warming," said Brad Johnson, Campaign Manager of Forecast the Facts. "It may be time to pronounce Google’s famous 'Don’t Be Evil' motto dead."Google’s continued support of ALEC comes as the group plans to attack the first-ever protections from carbon pollution emitted from new power plants. In addition, new reports indicate ALEC is plotting to push legislation that would financially penalize homeowners who install their own solar panels.
"If Google thinks the public won't notice or care about its political funding practices, it hasn't read the thousands of outraged comments I've read from our members," said David Swanson, Campaign Coordinator for RootsAction.org.
“In ALEC, Google is now funding a group that promotes an anti-worker, anti-environment and anti-consumer agenda,” said Nick Surgey, Director of Research at the Center for Media and Democracy. “At ALEC’s conference this week, it is going to debate new “model” bills to limit the power of the EPA, make it more difficult for public employees to collectively bargain and a bill that opposes consumer friendly country of origin labeling laws. What on earth is Google doing funding this organization?"
The Sierra Club’s SierraRise community, Forecast the Facts, SumOfUs, RootsAction and the Center for Media and Democracy delivered to Google representatives more than 230,000 petition signatures collected from Americans across the country urging Google to abide by its motto of “Don’t Be Evil” by standing by its clean energy commitments and stand up to ALEC’s polluter-backed attacks on climate action.
For more information about the program click HERE for the FAQ (frequently asked questions)
Get a free consultation and sign up for solar panels soon! Sungevity will send $750 back to the Sierra Club and $750 back to the homeowner!
1) CLEAN ENERGY MOVES US BEYOND COAL AND OTHER DIRTY ENERGY SOURCES: Going solar supports the mission and work of the Sierra Club.
2) OPPORTUNITY TO PARTICIPATE IN CLIMATE SOLUTIONS: Going solar now supports green jobs and helps clean energy grow.
3) TESTED PROGRAM: Feedback from pilot was overwhelmingly positive—good experience with process, Sungevity, and they love using clean energy!
4) SUPPORT LOCAL CHAPTERS: National Sierra Club promotion of the Solar Homes program supports local chapters who will receive unrestricted funds for advocacy and conservation programs as well as crucial overhead costs.5) TIME IS RIGHT FOR SOLAR: Affordable leasing options are available and you can be a part of the growing solar revolution.
6) DIRTY ENERGY IS COSTING US ALL: Coal is making our kids and adults sick by polluting the air we breathe and the water we drink. Big Coal profits at the expense of people.
7) CLEAN ENERGY IS CREATING JOBS AND POWERING THE
ECONOMY: Wind and solar already provide more
jobs than the coal mining industry. Generating power with solar creates seven
times more jobs than doing so with coal.